The South Tripura District was once the seat of ancient rulers of Tripura
. Its headquarters is at Udaipur
. Udaipur is popularly known as 'the city of lakes' and was the capital of Tripura till 1760. The famous Tripurasundari
Temple is situated about 3 km away from Udaipur at
. The geographical area of South Tripura District is 2,624 sq km. The three hill ranges are the South Baramura
. The Deotamura Hill Range forms the boundary between Amarpur
and Udaipur sub-divisions.
Art and craft: cane and bamboo works, weaving, carpentry for decorative articles and furniture, clay modeling, pottery, tailoring and embroidery. South Tripura District is an agricultural area with paddy as the main food crop. The major plantation crops include tea, coffee, rubber, jackfruit, banana, mango and pineapple.
Tripurasundari Temple, Bhuvaneswari Temple, Jagannath Temple, Mahamuni Temple, Gumti Wildlife Sanctuary and Trishna Wildlife Sanctuary are the main tourist attractions.