Bhuvaneswari Temple is a highly revered shrine situated at Udaipur
in South Tripura District
. It is situated on the right bank of the Gomati River
near the old Royal palace of Maharaja Govinda Manikya. The presiding deity here is Goddess Bhuvaneswari.
Bhuvaneswari Temple was built in between 1667 to 1676 AD during the reign of Maharaja Govinda Manikya. Constructed on a 3 ft high paved terrace, the roof features the typical ‘four-chala’ pattern with stupa like crowns on the vestibule and core chambers.
The historical importance of the temple is that the temple is immortalized in
Rabindranath Tagore’s plays - ‘Rajarshi’ and ‘Bisarjan’.
Bhuvaneswari Temple can be reached by bus from Agartala. The nearest railhead is at Kumarghat.