India | Andhra Pradesh | Cuddapah

Cuddapah



Cuddapah, the administrative headquarters of the Cuddapah District, is situated 142 km northwest of Tirupati. The Pennar River flows 8 km north of the city. Cuddapah is hemmed from the three sides by the Nallamalai and Palkonda hills. Cuddapah is 425 km south of Hyderabad.

Cuddapah derived its name from the Telugu word 'Kadapa', which means ‘gate’. It is said that the city was named so as it acts as the gateway from the north to the sacred hill-'Pagoda' of Sri Venkateswara of Tirupati.

Cuddapah has a long history to mention. It was a part of the Chola Empire from the 11 to 15th century. Muslims invaded the town in 1565. In the early 18th century, Cuddapah was the seat of power for the Mayana Nawabs. The British wrested control of the town in 1800 and annexed it to the East India Company. Under the British, Cuddapah was the headquarters of one of the four Subordinate Collectors under the Principal Collector, Major Munro.

Places of tourist interest in and around the city include Masjid-e-Azam, Chand Phira Gumbadh, Gandikota and Pushpagiri.

Nearest airport is at Renigunta. Chennai International Airport is 220 km southeast of Cuddapah. Cuddapah is a prominent railhead on the Chennai-Guntakal line. State Transport Corporation and private operators run buses connecting Cuddapah with Chittoor, Nellore, Anantapur and Kurnool.



Updated on 7th June, 2005
District: Cuddapah
Location: Cuddapah

Bus Stations (1) Mosques (1) Trains and Railway Stations (2)
Colleges and Research Institutions (1) Museums and Archives (1)
Hotels (1) Temples (1)
 

Copyright 2014 by Online Highways LLC. Enjoy some India trivia. Send Us Your Comments

privacy policy


{ezoic-ad-1}


{ez_footer_ads}