Chandrapur, the administrative headquarters of Chandrapur District
, is a historic town situated along a tributary of the Wardha River, in north-eastern Maharashtra
. It is 157 km south of Nagpur
. Chandrapur, which literally means ‘settlement of the Moon’, is the largest industrial town of the district.
Chandrapur was the capital of the erstwhile Gond Dynasty (12-18th century). It became a part of the British province in 1854 and remained with them until India’s Independence in 1947.
From a tourist’s point of view, the four historical fort gates and the walls that arm the town depicts the reliability of Gond style of architecture. Chandrapur temples are noteworthy for their exquisite craftsmanship and finish. Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve (45 km), Ballarpur,
Bhadravati (Bhandak), Mul and
Bhamragarh Wildlife Sanctuary constitute interesting excursions outside the town.
Nearest airport is at Nagpur. Chandrapur Railway Station is a major railhead of Central Railways.