Sultanpur Lodhi is a historic town located on the left bank of Kali Bein, about 10 km above the confluence of Beas
and Sutlej rivers, in Punjab. It is a popular pilgrim center for the Sikhs, situated 30 km south of Kapurthala
Sultanpur Lodhi derives its name after Sultan Khan Lodhi, a General (Faujdar) of Mahmud of Gazni, who founded the town in 11th century. References about this town can be found in Aini-e-Akbari. The town, situated on the Grand Trunk Road, flourished as a major trade center and was a major Muslim cultural center. After the decline of the
Mughals, the Sikh Chiefs annexed Sultanpur to the state of Kapurthala in 1777. It remained with them until India’s Independence in 1947.
Places of tourist interest include
Gurdwara Ber Sahib, Mazaar Shah, Hujra Hajira and a Serai - the oldest building in Sultanpur.
The airports at Amritsar(60 km) and Ludhiana serve Sultanpur Lodhi. Sultanpur Lodhi Railway Station is on the
Jalandhar–Ferozepore line. Sultanpur Lodi is easily accessible from Jalandhar and Amritsar via Taran Taran and Goindwal Sahib. Jalandhar is 40 km north-east of Sultanpur Lodhi.