Thodupuzha derives its name from two
Malayalam words, ‘Thodu’ which means canal and ‘puzha’, meaning river. Events a full millennia old have been traced on this little town, from various documents. In the late 16th century, the town was a part of the erstwhile Keezhmalainadu. In 1600, it was annexed to the Vadakkumkur province, which later became part of the kingdom of Travancore.
Thodupuzha is a land of many ancient places of worship. Several Hindu, Christian and Muslim shrines co-existing in the town is a telling example of the religious harmony and tolerance of its people.
The ruin of an old fort at Karikode is a major tourist attraction. The place also has various religious relics pertaining to
The main stay of the people of Thodupuzha is agriculture. Rubber, Ginger, Pepper, Coffee, Coconut, Pineapple and
Tapioca are widely cultivated.
The nearest airport is the Cochin International Airport, 60 km from here.
Kottayam, 40 km away, is the closest rail head. Regular bus services ply between Thodupuzha and major places of the State.