Set against the backdrop of the forested Sahyadri Hills, Canacona is an area of exceptional scenery in South Goa District
. In the agreement of 1791, it was ceded to the Portuguese by the Raja of Sund. Canacona was among the last parts of the territory to be absorbed into the Novas Conquistas, made by the Portuguese in the last stage of the extension of their Goan Empire in the eighteenth century.
and Agonda beaches
, Catigo Wildlife Sanctuary and Cabo de Rama Fort are the main attractions.
, aka Chauri, 33 km south of Margao
, is a main transport hub. The region's main transport artery is the NH-17, which crawls across the Sahyadri and Karmali Ghats towards Karnataka.