Viper Island is adjacent to Port Blair. It is named after the British trading ship that was wrecked nearby in the 19th century. A path leads to the remnants of the yellow coloured brick jail and the gallows built by the British in 1867. It has the remains of the building on the top a small hill. The jail was discarded subsequent to the construction of Cellular Jail in 1906.
The ideal way to see Viper Island is to take the afternoon harbour cruise that departs from Phoenix Bay Jetty in Port Blair.