Founded in 1916, University of Mysore was the brainchild of the then Maharaja of Mysore His Highness Sri Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV and his Dewan Sir M.Visveswaraya. It was established based on a report submitted by Messrs Thomas Denham and C R Reddy on educational progress in the United States and Australia.
The main campus of the university lies in a beautiful area near the
Kukkarahalli Lake in the heart of Mysore. The University headquarters, the Crawford Hall, is located right across the lake on the eastern end. In addition there are two satellite campuses viz; Sir M.Visveswaraya Postgraduate Centre at Tubinakere in Mandya, and the Mysore University Postgraduate Centre at Hemagangotri in Hassan.
There are 122 affiliated colleges and 5 constituent colleges, 37 postgraduate departments, 8 specialized research and training centers and 2 postgraduate centers. The university offers a wide range of courses in different disciplines and subjects leading to degrees, diplomas and certificates. It also offers a number of employment-oriented diploma courses and certificate programs.
University of Mysore has excellent facilities for curricular and co-curricular activities. It has a well-stocked library, modern computer centre, amphitheatre, auditorium, swimming pool, and hostels for women and men.
The campus is a kilometer south of Mysore Railway Station.