Tumlong is situated around 21 km from Gangtok in North Sikkim District. It was one of the three old capitals of Sikkim. In 1793, Tsudphud Namgyal moved the capital of Sikkim from Rabdentse to Tumlong, because of the threat posed by the Nepalese. For almost 90 years it remained the capital of Sikkim. In 1894, Chogyal Thutob Namgyal, Maharaja of Sikkim, shifted the capital to Gangtok.