Sukresvara Temple at Guwahati
is situated on the banks of Brahmaputra River
. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva
. It contains one of the largest linga (idol of the male genital, symbolic to Lord Shiva) in India.
This temple was constructed by King Pramatta Singh belonging to the Ahom dynasty in AD 1744. According to the ancient scripture ‘kalika purana’ the hillock, on which the temple is located, was originally the hermitage of Sage Sukra, known by the name ‘hasti.’ A linga called Sukresvara Linga was installed in this hermitage.