With a legacy of 600 years, Pulicat, also known as Pazhaverkaddu, is situated 55 km north of
. Pulicat was a major settlement of the Dutch on the
. They had built a fort called ‘Geldira’ here in 1609 to trade with the East Indies. The Dutch and the British waged several wars over Pulicat and finally, the British captured it in 1825. The place is renowned for the eco-tourist spot of Pulicat Lake
The Buckingham Canal, lighthouse, villages on the seaside, fisher folk, bullock carts and ferry boats forms the back drop to Pulicat. The Dutch and the British is believed to have berthed their ships at
Karinmanal village, which is a historical site nearby. The highly guarded Sri Harikota Island located here houses India’s space center. Jamilabad is a nearby village totally dedicated to boat building and Senjiamman Nagar is a tribal hamlet. Church of Our Lady of Glory, and the Dutch cemetery protected by the Archaeological Survey of India, which has beautifully carved tombstones and mausoleums are the other interests.
Fancy and utility articles, made out of palm leaves by women, are a specialty of Pulicat. Sea food export is another major activity.
The nearest airport and railhead are at Chennai. Pulicat is well connected by road to Chennai.