Panhala Fort, situated about 18 km north-west of Kolhapur
, is one of the many historically important sites in Kolhapur District
. Built in 1178 -1209, it is regarded as the largest of all the Deccan forts. The fort was founded by King Raja Bhoja in the late 12th century.
Panhala Fort features a vast area and possesses massive perimeter walls over 7 km in length and a steep slope beneath. This majestic and impressive structure, almost invincible from the outside, can be entered through three magnificent double-walled gates. The innermost citadel is enclosed by a strong wall.
The history of fort is the history of the Marathas. It was the erstwhile capital of Shilahara dynasty since 1190, and held successively by the Yadava and Bahamani kingdoms. Chhatrapati Shivaji have spent more than 500 days in this fort.
The fort has legendary connection with Lord Parashuram.
The nearest railway station is at Kolhapur, 18 km away. Buses are available from Kolhapur to Panhala.