Palampur, one of the leading hill stations, at a height of 1249 m, was once a part of the kingdom of Jalandhara. The word ‘palum’ means plenty of water. Since the place is a watery area, it is named as Palampur. Numerous streams and brooks flow through the town. Palampur is known for its tea plantations. Kangra tea, with its center at Palampur, is world renowned. The natural beauty of the town is enhanced by the high rising Dhauladhar ranges
which form the backdrop.
The place is rich in historic temples and forts. There are buildings which are examples of fine colonial architecture. The Tea Factory, Church of St John in the Wilderness, and the Temple of Bundlamata are places to visit.
Nearest airport is at Gaggal in Kangra at a distance of 37 km. Chakki Bank near Pathankot, which is 115 km away, is the closest railhead.