Headquarters of the Krishna District, Machilipatnam, is a port town located 70 km southeast of Vijayawada. Previously known as Masulipatnam, it was a center of French, British and Dutch trade in the 17th century.
Machilipatnam was one of the earliest British settlements in the Indian subcontinent. The town has Dutch tombs with carved instructions and coats of arms dated from 1649 to 1725. Its gateway is decorated with the eyes of a fish (Machili) and hence the town was named accordingly. Machilipatnam is renowned for hand printed silk and cotton sarees, upholstery, sling bags and dresses. The Manginapudi Beach, an interesting tourist spot, is 10 km away.