Built in 1724 by Nawab Murshid Quli Khan, Katra Mosque is two miles east of Murshidabad Railway Station
on the Berhampore
road. This five-domed mosque is on a high platform in the centre of a huge courtyard which is surrounded by a double-storeyed row of rooms. Four big minars similar to Egyptian pylons were built at the four corners. Murshid Quli Khan was buried under the front stairs.
Following the model of the Mecca mosque, Katra Masjid is regarded as a grand seminary of Muslim learning.