Haripur is on the Nurpur-Jwalamukhi
road, between Nagrota Suriyan
, in Kangra District
. It is nearly 8 km east of Mangwal, 18 km south of Yol and 4 km north of Balta.
Founded in 1464, Haripur is a historic place where the famous Kangra miniature paintings (Pahari Paintings
) were born. The town was famed as the cradle of the Kangra School of Paintings, which came to a decline at the close of the 19th century.
The ancient fort and water springs at Haripur are worth a visit. Pong Dam
is within a short distance and the Beas River
flows close by.
Ranital Railway Station and Gaggal Airport