Bhavani Mandap, known as 'Glory of the city', is the biggest and the oldest building of
. This palace was built during the reign of Shivaji
II (1785-1800 AD), when Kolhapur became a self-governed state. It has 14 squares. In 1813 the Muslim King Sadatkhan invaded the palace and a part of it was burnt. After repairs only 7 squares have survived.
There is the temple of Kulswamini Tulja Bhavani at the center of the Mandap. A statue to commemorate Shahu Maharaj is located near the hall. The main hall was made tall and splendid during 1926-30. Special 'Zumber' (cluster of lights) from Italy was also fixed. The entrance hall can be seen while passing under a pillared porch that extends out into the town square. This was once used for wedding ceremonies for the poor, financed by the Maharaja. Inside, a large courtyard contains a shrine to the family deity, Bhavani. A variety of stuffed creatures and a statue of the late Maharajah, Shri Shahu Chhatrapati is on display.