Bankot/Himmatgad Fort is located at Bagmandala 4 km from Harihareshwar
. The fort was named 'Mandargiri' by Pliny the Great, an ancient Greek scientist. In 1548, the fort was captured by the Portuguese from Adilshah and later by the Marathas.
There is a deep well within the fort. The main entrance door has a decorative balcony with arches and space to seat a team of musicians. The fort has a porch to accommodate sentries. The cellars are near the porch. Another doorway opens out into the outer tower. An area at the outermost face of the fort is designed for burial purposes. Now the fort is in ruins.
Nearest airport is at Mumbai, 220 km, and the nearest railway station is Mangaon, 65 km, on Konkan Railways.