Anjidiv Island, also known as Anjadiva or Anjediva, at the Goa-Karnataka border, has played a major role in the history of Goa. About 1.5 sq km in area, it is the largest of an archipelago of five islands, the other four being Kurnagal, Mudlingud, Devgad and Devragad. 'Anjadiva' means fifth island.
The Portuguese traveler Vasco da Gama visited this island in 1498, and later in 1502. The island was strategically important as a major defence post for the Portuguese, and served as a watering port for Greek, Arab, Egyptian and Portuguese merchant ships in later years. A fort and a church were built here. The Roman Catholic Church, one of the oldest in the East, was built in 1502 and awarded the insignia by Rome as the Mother Church. Numerous Hindu legends are also associated with the island.
Anjidiv Island can be approached from Goa via
Karwar by land or rail. From the Officers (Sea Bird) Gate, a two km causeway takes one to this historical site.