Jhansi Fort was built by Bir Singh Ju Deo, the Raja of Orchha, in 1613. It is situated on a rocky hill called Bangra in the town of Balwantnagar, known today as Jhansi
. The fort has ten gates including the Khandero Gate, Datia Darwaza, Unnao Gate, Jharna Gate, Laxmi Gate, Sagar Gate, Orcha Gate, Sainyar Gate, and Chand Gate.
The fort has a fine collection of sculptures which provide an excellent insight into the eventful history of
Bundelkhand. Among places of interest within the main fort area are the Karak Bijli Toup (Tank), Rani Jhansi Garden, Shiv temple and a Mazar of Ghulam Gaus Khan, Moti Bai and Khuda Baksh.