Ooty Lake is a man-made reservoir built during the British rule. John Sullivan, the first collector of Ooty supervised its construction in 1823-1825. The lake covers almost 4 sq km. It is 2.5 km long with a width upto 150 m. Set among groves of eucalyptus trees, the lake adds to the scenic beauty of the area. Several monuments line the banks of the lake. The non-motor boating facilities provided at the lake enable visitors to enjoy the surroundings at a leisurely pace.