City Palace, built in European and Chinese architecture, is the largest palace complex in Udaipur
. This majestic white royal building is situated on a crest overlooking the Pichola Lake.
The construction of the palace was started in the 16th century by the Maharana Udai Singh II, and was continued and completed by the subsequent Maharanas. The main part of the palace holds a number Mahals (palaces) such as Manak Mahal, Krishna Vilas, Bari Mahal, Moti Mahal, Chini Mahal and Zenana Mahal.
The palace can be approached through the Hati Pol or the Elephant Gate situated on the main road. It also has a number of other gates such as the Bara Pol or the Great gate (built in AD 1600) and Tripolia or the Triple gate (built in AD 1725) with eight carved arches in between them.
The oldest part of the palace is the Raj Aangan or the Royal Courtyard (built in AD 1571). The path which leads to the Royal Courtyard has overlapping pavilions, terraces, corridors and hanging gardens. In the walls there are glass mosaics of peacocks, known as Mor Chowk.
The highest point in the palace complex is the Amar Vilas, which has exquisite hanging gardens with fountains, towers and terraces with a majestic view of the town and Lake Pichola.
Jagdish Temple, the biggest and most beautiful temple of Udaipur, dedicated to Lord Vishnu is also situated here.
The best time to visit the place is between October to March and the palace is open to public from 09:30 hrs to 16:30 hrs.
The City Palace can be easily accessed from the Udaipur Central Bus Station. Udaipur City Railway Station is about 4 km east of the city center. Maharana Pratap Airport is 21 km from the city center.