Alwar Fort at Alwar
was built before the Mughals
established their empire in India. Mughal rulers Babur
and Jahangir had both stayed here for some time during their respective exiles. This is a massive structure with its ramparts stretching 5 km from north to south and 1.6 km from east to west. It stands 304 meters above the city and 595 meters above the sea level. In 1775, this fort was annexed by Rajput ruler, Maharaja Pratap Singh. It has 15 big and 51 small towers and 446 opening for musketry, along with eight huge towers encompassing it. The fort has several gates, such as Jai Pole, Suraj Pole, Laxman Pole, Chand Pole, Kishan Pole and Andheri Gate. It also has some palaces, temples and other buildings, such as Jal Mahal, Nikumbh Mahal, Salim Sagar, Suraj Kund and Salim Mahal.