Gateway of India is located at the end of Shivaji Marg in Mumbai
. Positioned at the edge of the reclaimed land of the Apollo Bunder, it adjoins the Mumbai Harbour and the Arabian Sea
area of Mumbai. Characteristically Indo-saracenic in style, this memorial arch was built to honor the visit of King George V and Queen Mary to Mumbai in December 1911. Designed by the Scotsman George Wittet, the Gateway of India is considered as the chief landmark of Mumbai. It was officially opened on December 4, 1924 by the Viceroy, the Earl of Reading.
Resembling the conventional Arch of Triumph, it is made of yellow Kharodi basalt and reinforced concrete. With four turrets and intricate latticework carved into the yellow basalt stone, this monument is one of the most imposing structures in India. The beautiful statue of the Maratha leader Shivaji is located behind the gateway.
Built at an astonishing cost of 2 million, the main feature of the Gateway of India is its 26 m high archway. The last British troops formally to leave India passed through its archway in February 1948. Though it earlier codified the British grandeur and influence in India, now the Gateway of India has become a popular tourist attraction and meeting point.
Behind the arch, steps lead down to the water. Small motor launches can be hired here which take one for a short cruise through Mumbai's natural harbour.