Karnala Fort is situated at Karnala near
Panvel, along the Pune-Mumbai highway. It was constructed around 13th century. The fort was in hands of the families of the Mudhan, Angres, and
Peshwas until 1818. After that it came under the British.
A sharp peak rises centrally within the fort. Carved images of tigers and elephants are found on the principal doorway. There are water reservoirs dug out from rock near the fort