Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple was built by the
of Travancore in 1733. It is a splendid seven storied monument with numerous pillars, intricate carvings and mural paintings of natural pigments. This is the only place where Lord Vishnu
(Padmanabha) is enshrined in the yoganidra posture. The Temple has been historically significant as the spiritual haven of Travancore kings.
The huge idol resides on the holy serpent Anantha, with the head on the southern side, the feet towards the north and the navel with
Lord Brahma in the middle. The idol is viewed from three doorways. There is a big pool, Padma
teertham, in front of the temple.
The Padmanabhaswamy Temple at Chennai is a replica of this temple.
The temple is located in the heart of
East Fort, 8 km from the airport and 1 km from the railway station at Thiruvananthapuram.