Built by Krishna Raja Wodeyar III in 1828, the temple of Chamarajeshwara in Chamrajnagar is a famous shrine dedicated to Lord Chamarajeshwara. The lord is worshipped in the form of a shivling, which is believed to have been originally brought from Sringeri with the blessings of Shri
Shankaracharya, the exponent of Advaita Siddhanta. The temple has a large enclosure with golden pinnacles and several shrines all around. An inscription on the wall of the temple states that the town of Chamrajnagar with the temple was built in memory of Chamaraja Wodeyar.