Asar Mahal is an impressive building located in Bijapur
, towards the east of the citadel. The mahal was built by Mohammed Adil Shah, the ruler of Adil Shahi Kingdom
, in 1646 AD to serve as a 'Hall of Justice'. It is believed that the two hairs of the Prophet Mohamed were preserved here.
The walls of the mahal are decorated with paintings and designs. The rooms on the upper storey are lavishly adorned with frescoes. A square tank fed by conduits from Begum Tank is situated in the front. Women are not allowed to enter the main structure.
By bus, Asar Mahal is easily accessible from Bijapur town, where the nearest railway station is situated.