Old Delhi is a fortified city of Shahjahanabad, which spreads towards the west from the Red Fort
in North Delhi District
. It was once surrounded by strong defensive walls, of which now only fragments are left. To the northern end of the city is situated the
, which witnessed desperate fighting when the British overtook Delhi
during the 1857 revolt. The British built
to the west of this in remembrance of the soldiers who lost their lives in the rebellion. Adjacent to the Memorial stands the Ashoka Pillar
, which was brought here by Firoz Shah.
is the main street of Old Delhi.