Sultanpur, the headquarters of Sultanpur District
, is an old town located on the Gomati River and is 141 km southeast of Lucknow
. It was destroyed and rebuilt many times before coming under the reign of Muslim rulers in the 12th century. The town was razed to the ground during military operations in 1857.
The present town was developed around the military station and cantonment built by the British at a village called Girghit, on the right bank of Gomati River. It is now a principal agricultural trade center of the state. Major points of tourist interest in the town are Sita Kund, Victoria Manzil (Sunder Lal Memorial Hall) and the Christ Church. The Chimanlal Park is an ideal recreation center in the town and the Vinayak Mehta Library is the only library in the town.
Sultanpur is a major rail junction in Uttar Pradesh and mail/express trains connect the city with New Delhi, Mumbai and Howrah. Amausi Airport is the nearest airport. Sultanpur is situated on the
National Highway 56 and the holy city Varanasi is 180 km southeast. State highway connects it to Allahabad, 96 km south and
Faizabad, 56 km north.