Shimoga, the administrative headquarters of Shimoga District
, is a historic town situated on the banks of
. It is a leading industrial, commercial and educational center in the district. Shimoga is 275 km northwest of Bangalore
Shimoga is steeped in history; it was the stronghold of the erstwhile Keladi Nayaks in the 16th century. Marathas invaded and plundered the town in 1798. It came under the British rule in the early 19th century.
Places of tourist interest in the town are the Shimoga fort, Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Government Museum. Gajanur (10 km), the ‘steel city’ of Bhadravathi (18 km), Mandagadde Natural Bird Sanctuary and Tavarekoppa are other places worth visiting in the vicinity.
Closest airport is at Mangalore, 200 km away. Shimoga Town Railway Station is managed by the South Western Railways.