India | Karnataka | Shimoga

Shimoga




Shimoga, the administrative headquarters of Shimoga District, is a historic town situated on the banks of Tunga River. It is a leading industrial, commercial and educational center in the district. Shimoga is 275 km northwest of Bangalore.

Shimoga is steeped in history; it was the stronghold of the erstwhile Keladi Nayaks in the 16th century. Marathas invaded and plundered the town in 1798. It came under the British rule in the early 19th century.

Places of tourist interest in the town are the Shimoga fort, Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Government Museum. Gajanur (10 km), the Ďsteel cityí of Bhadravathi (18 km), Mandagadde Natural Bird Sanctuary and Tavarekoppa are other places worth visiting in the vicinity.

Closest airport is at Mangalore, 200 km away. Shimoga Town Railway Station is managed by the South Western Railways.



Updated on 5th May, 2014
District: Shimoga
Location: Shimoga    

Bus Stations (1) Museums and Archives (1) Trains and Railway Stations (3)
Churches (1) Palaces (1) Universities (1)
Colleges and Research Institutions (2) Parks and Gardens (1) Wildlife Sanctuaries (1)
Dams and Reservoirs (2) Post Offices (1)
Hotels (1) Temples (1)
 

Keyword

Copyright 2014 by Online Highways LLC. Enjoy some India trivia. Send Us Your Comments