Tuticorin, also known as Thoothukudi, is famous for its pearl culture. The tenth major port in India, Tuticorin is located at
Gulf of Mannar
with Sri Lanka on the southeast. Tuticorin was founded by Portuguese in 1540. It was then ruled by the Portuguese, French, and British successively. The local people refer Tuticorin as ‘Muthu Nagar’, meaning Pearl City.
Tuticorin, at a distance of around 540 km from
Chennai, is the headquarters of
Tuticorin District. The town has a Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute with a field laboratory at Veppalodai. Tuticorin is a well known pearl diving and fishing center.
Points of interest are the first Catholic church - Snow church, Trinity church near old harbour, St Patricks church, Sacred Heart cathedral, St Peters church, Shanmugapuram. The light house of Tuticorin was built in 1842. Rajaji and Roche are minor parks.
The nearest airport is Tuticorin Airport. Tuticorin is well connected by rail and road network.