Situated on the eastern banks of Tamaraparani River, Palayamkottai is the headquarters of
. Palayamkottai along with Tirunelveli
, 3 km away, forms a twin city. The headquarters of the Church Missionary Society in
is located at Palayamkottai. St Francis Xavier is believed to have stayed in this town during the 16th century.
The Trinity Church, built in 1826 with a 35 m tall spire, is the major attraction at Palayamkottai. In the month of September, the church celebrates a big festival. The
Krishnapuram temple, 13 km away, is a famous for its sculptures.
Palayamkottai is frequently connected to Tirunelveli by buses.