Nagapattinam, the administrative headquarters of Nagapattinam District
, is an ancient port town situated 256 km to the south of Chennai
in Tamil Nadu
Nagapattinam heralds a rich past and cultural heritage. It was the erstwhile headquarters of the Cholas and the references about the city are found in the ancient Buddhist literature – Padarithitha. The city became a commercial center of the Portuguese in 1554 and a Dutch colony in 1662. The British wrested control of the town in 1781 and it remained with them until India’s Independence in 1947.
Places of tourist interest include Velankanni Church - known as the 'Mecca of South Asian Christianity' (located 12 km south of Nagapattinam), Buddha Vihar,
Nagore Dargah, Sri Rajagopalaswami temple and the 12th century Sri Rajagopalaswami temple.
Ettukkudi (28 km), Point Calimere Sanctuary (68 km), Mannarkudi (56 km) and
Swamimalai (60 km) constitute nearby excursions.
Closest airport is at Tiruchirapalli (141 km). Nagapattinam Railway Station connects it with major cities and towns in Tamil Nadu.