India | Tamil Nadu

Erode



Erode, the administrative headquarters of Erode District, is a prominent industrial and agricultural trade center in Tamil Nadu. It is situated 90 km to the north-east of Coimbatore.

Erode is steeped in history. Temple inscriptions indicate the presence of human settlements here as early as the 10th century. The city was under the rule of the Cholas till the 14th century. As the Chola Empire declined, the city was occupied by the Chalukyas and later came under the possession of the Pandyas and Hoysalas. Hyder Ali wrested control of the town from the Mysore rulers in the 18th century but was annexed by the British after the defeat of Tipu Sultan in 1799. It remained with them until India’s Independence in 1947.

Major attraction of Erode is the ‘Triveni of South India’ – Bhavani, located at the confluence of rivers Bhavani and Cauvery, 15 km north-east of the town.

Nearest airport is at Coimbatore (90 km). Erode is a major railway station on the west coastline. Regular trains connect this place with Chennai, Coimbatore, Palakkad and Madurai. Erode is also connected with all major city centers of the state by road.



Updated on 7th June, 2005
District: Erode

Bus Stations (1) Hotels (2) Shopping (1)
Colleges and Research Institutions (4) Museums and Archives (3) Temples (1)
Hospitals and Medical Centers (2) Post Offices (1) Trains and Railway Stations (4)
 

Copyright 2014 by Online Highways LLC. Enjoy some India trivia. Send Us Your Comments

privacy policy

{ezoic-ad-1}

{ez_footer_ads}