An historical site, Bankapura is famous for the temples of Ranganatha Nagareshwara and Siddheshwara. Under the
ís, many beautiful temples were built here, but during the invasion of Ali Adilshahi in about 1567 most of the temples were destroyed.
A fort, now in ruins, at Bankapura houses the Ranganatha Nagareshwara temple, which has 60 pillars carved out of grey stone. There is also a beautiful mosque in the fort. The place is of historical significance to Jains. Adipuran, a Jain religious text was composed here.
Bankapura is situated at a distance of 20 km from Yalavigi railway station on
Bangalore line. Dharwad and
Hubli are the major towns nearby.