The town was earlier known as Mandavpuri. It is believed to have been established about 254 years ago when Maharaj Chhatrsal gave it as Jagir (a piece of land given as prize) to Madan Shah and Vansia Shah. Charkhari is noted for Mangal Garh Fort on the Mulia Hills. This fort was built by the son of Maharaj Chhatrsal Jagat Raj in 1734.
Historical monuments, magnificent temples and lakes add to the charm of the town. Most of the temples found here are dedicated to Lord Krishna. Guman Bihari and Govardhan Temple are the major shrines here. Govardhan Mela, celebrated during the month of Kartik, draws a large number of devotees from far and near.
The nearby cities and towns are Panwar to the west, Kabari to the east and Supa to the south. The nearest airport is at Khajuraho. Mahoba Railway Station, on the Jhansi - Khariar, is the nearest railhead.