Walkeshwar Temple is a highly revered shrine of Lord Shiva, located near the Malabar Hill on Walkeshwar Road, in Mumbai.
The original temple, which was destroyed by the Portuguese, was built by the Shilahara, who ruled the islands of Mumbai during 810 to 1260 AD. The temple was rebuilt in 1715 by a devotee named Ram Kamat.
Legend has it that Lord Ram and Lakshman, while in exile, arrived here in search of Sita. Ram prepared a lingam from the sands of sea for his daily ritual. Hence the temple became known as Waluka Eshwar (sand God) or Walkeshwar.
Shri Kashi Math, Shri Kaivalya Math and Banganga Tank are the nearby attractions.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus is around 8 km south-east. Nearest local railhead is the Grant Road Railway Station.