Tiruvarur, the seat of administration of Tiruvarur District
, is a holy town situated 55 km east of Thanjavur
, in Tamil Nadu
. The place is famous as the birth place of Sri Thyagaraja
- one of the musical Trinity.
Tiruvarur, then a part of Thanjavur, was ruled by the Cholas from 9th to 12th centuries. They were patrons of art and architecture; many of their temples remain in the town, which testifies the architectural proficiency of those golden days. These structures stand out for their exquisite sculptures, paintings and woodcarving. The city came under the British rule in 1799 and it remained with them until India’s Independence in 1947.
Places of tourist include the Thyagarajaswami Temple, which has the biggest temple chariot in Tamil Nadu, Engan (13 km) and Sri Rajagopalaswamy Temple (28 km). Boating at the Kamalalayam Temple Tank is another point of attraction.
Nearest airport is at Tiruchirapalli. Regular bus services connect Tiruvarur with Thanjavur, Madurai, Nagapattinam and Mannargudi.