Thanjavur Palace, also known as Nayak Palace, is situated near the Brihadeeswara Temple
in Tamil Nadu
. It was constructed partly by the Nayaks around AD 1550, and partly by the Marathas. The palace is noted for its huge halls, spacious corridors, observation and arsenal towers, and a shady courtyard.
The entrance to the palace is a large quadrangular courtyard which is encircled by walls with big gateways to the north and the east. The courtyard leads to a many-pillared hall. The Goodagopuram, an eight storeyed vimana like building situated on the southern side of the third quadrangle, has a height of 190 ft. It was the palace watch tower and also the armory of the Thanjavur Kings till 1855 AD.
Beyond the Goodagopuram lies the six-storied tower called Madamaligai. It is believed that Madamaligai was built by a Nayak ruler so that he could worship Sri Ranganatha of Srirangam every mid-day. The Sangita Mahal or the Music Hall is a miniature of the surviving court of Thirumalai Nayak.
Thanjavur Palace houses the Royal Palace Museum and a library known by the name Thanjavur Maharaja Serfoji's Saraswati Mahal Library Museum. Next to the library is the Thanjavur Art Gallery. Near to the palace is the Tamil University Museum.
Thanjavur Bus Station and Thanjavur Junction Railway Station are the nearest access points. The closest airport is at Tiruchirapalli (58 km away).