Terekhol Fort stands on the northern bank of the Terekhol River in Goa
. Maharaja Khem Sawant Bhonsle constructed it in the 17th century. It was rebuilt in 1764 after the Portuguese Viceroy Dom Pedro Miguel de Almeida captured it. The first Goan born Viceroy of Goa, Dr Bernardo Peres de Silva used it as a base for an armed revolt against the Portuguese in 1825 but this attempt was crushed by the Portuguese forces.The remains of the fort have been converted into a hotel, the Terekhol Fort Heritage, but the old St.Antony's Church inside the fort has been retained. It is open to the public only on rare occasions like the annual feast held in the month of May.