The Vallarpadam St Mary’s Church is believed to have been constructed by the Portuguese in 1676. The annual feast of St Mary's is the major event celebrated here. It is attended by hundreds of devotees from far and near. A fair is also held here at that time to mark the event.
Vallarpadam Island is located 3 km to the west of Ernakulam. Boats are available every half an hour from the jetty near Ernakulam Subash Chandra Bose Park. To the west of Vallarpadam is the Vypeen Island.