St Mary's Higher Secondary School was started by the Salvatorian Sisters on June 3, 1913 on the birthday of King George V. It is one of the premier girls' schools in North East India. The motto of the school is “Virtue and Knowledge.” It has been providing quality education for the past 90 plus years. The school attendance totals about 2,000 students.
Students are encouraged in sports, games, and athletics. In addition, essay writing and public-speaking skills of the students are fostered. They are also encouraged to participate in various inter-school competitions. The school trains students in organizational skills through Young Christian Students Movement (YCS), Leadership Training Service (LTS), and Guides. In order to cope up with the rising demands of this age of Information Technology, the school provides opportunities for computer education. It also offers e-mail and internet facilities for the students and the teachers. The teachers are offered on-going training on a regular basis.