St George Orthodox Church is located at Arathil, about 2 km from the central junction of
in Pathanamthitta District
. This is an ancient church, which was renovated on 6th May 1996. The Arathil Church is having a history of about 200 years.
Folklore tells that in olden days the christians of Pandalam used to go all the way to Kadampanad and Thumpamon for worshipping. Therefore, with the help of Pandalam king, a new church was built at Pandalam and it was named Pandalam Church. In the years 1893 and 1946, the church was renovated.
Pandalam is about 100 km north of Thiruvananthapuram and 50 km south of Kottayam.