St Angelo's Fort, also known as Kannur Fort, was built in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy Don Francisco De Almeida. Dutch captured the fort from the Portuguese and later it was seized by the English. The fort became one of the important military centers of the British in Malabar.
Located at Kannur
, this fort is a triangular laterite fort replete with a moat and flanking bastions. Inside the fort one can see some ancient cannons. The fort also offers a view of the Moppila Bay (a natural fishing bay) and the five-acre Dharmadom Island
situated 100 m away from the mainland in the Arabian Sea
. It is now protected by the Archaeological Survey of India.
St Angelo's Fort is about 3 km from Kannur Railway Station
. Calicut Airport
is the nearest airport, 93 km from Kannur.