Stupa 3 of Sanchi
is north-east of Great Stupa and resembles the Stupa 1 in design.
The Stupa 3, built in the 2nd century BC, is smaller in size, when compared with the Great Stupa (Stupa No 1). It has a fine gateway, which was built in the 1st century BC.
The Stupa holds the casket containing the relics of two most important disciples of Buddha - Sariputta and Mahamogallena. The casket also holds five precious jewels - pearl, garnet, lapis, crystal and amethyst. It also has a hemispherical dome with an umbrella of polished stone.
This Stupa was taken to Britain in the year 1853 and was brought back in 1953, which is today housed in modern Vihara.