Sadras, located 17 km from Mahabalipuram
and 2 km from Kalpakam, was a Dutch settlement on the
. A weaverís settlement, Sadras was ruled by the Sambuvarayars (
feudatories) during the latter half of 14th century and later by Vijayanagara rulers. It had a well-maintained port even before the arrival of foreigners. The British overthrew the Dutch after a series of battles in 1854 and occupied Sadras.
The 400-year-old Dutch fort is the prime attraction. Archeological Survey of India has done extensive excavations lately and has restored the fort. Dutch settlements of Pulicat and Nagapatnam find references in the inscriptions found in the fort.
Sadras is well linked by road to Mahabalipuram and Kalpakam.