Reis Magos Fort is situated on the north bank of the Mandovi River
at Reis Magos
in North Goa District
. It was constructed on the ruins of a pagoda in 1550 by the Franciscans. Commanding a splendid view around, Reis Magos Fort is about 3 km north-east of the Aguada Fort
This edifice is considered among the 42 sites of ancient monuments in the list of the State Archives and Archaeology Department. It is in a good state of preservation and is defended by 33 guns and accommodation for a small garrison. The pavement is dotted with inscriptions, the most important of which, found in the sanctuary, indicates the spot enclosing the remains of Dom Luis de Ataide, the viceroys of Portuguese India and Goa.
A spring with plenty of fresh water lies to the east of the fort. Greenery covering on the fort's wall is also worth a view. Reis Magos Fort was once used as a residence for viceroys and later converted to fortress.